Sunday, October 7, 2012

A Momentous Decision

(I should note that I made this decision and started implementing it several hours before I heard Elder Uchtdorf's talk in the Saturday morning session.)

I am not going to be on FaceBook anymore. I'm not going to delete my profile, because I want my contact information to be available and because deleting the profile would have consequences for the business' FaceBook page, but I won't be visiting the site anymore to check up on friends and family, nor will I be posting anything. I changed my password to a randomly-generated code (which I have saved in a safe, but inconvenient, place), and I deleted all my shortcuts to it and the app on my iPad. I can post to our FB page through a third-party app that also manages our Twitter posts.

Why? Because it's an enormous time suck. And in spite of tax season take 2 winding to a close, I find myself with more work than ever, and when I sit down in front of the computer, it's just too easy to get distracted, and the FB news feed never ends. Literally. As soon as you get to the bottom, more appears.

It's not the only thing I waste time on, so I've made other changes, too: I cut my blogroll down from about 30 to only 5 blogs, and I deleted a bunch of my shortcuts, like to Amazon. I have deliberately avoided StumbleUpon since I heard about it, so at least that never became a bad habit. (Sorry, Alex.)

I do reserve the right to not leave FB permanently. But for the foreseeable future, email or call me if you want to get in touch.

2 comments:

  1. An admirable decision ... will you post photos etc for your family (i.e. Mom) in some other way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a camera, so no way to take pictures right now. But if there are pictures at some future time, I'll either post them here or return to FB.

    ReplyDelete