Sunday, January 16, 2011

2010 Movies in Review

Here are the movies from 2010 that I recommend, broken down into a few different sections: action/adventure, drama, comedy, and movies I would recommend to my parents.


Action/Adventure

  • Percy Jackson & the Olympians--unexpectedly fun to watch this wretched distortion of Greek mythology
  • Prince of Persia--Yummy hero. Awesome twist at the end. Sequel, anyone?
  • The Sorcerer's Apprentice--Good story spun out of the Fantasia mop sequence
  • The Karate Kid--Better than the original, believe it or not
  • The Tourist--This merits a re-watch; Jolie has such incredible poise, and I thoroughly enjoyed the ending
  • Red--Helen Mirren's lethal accessories; need I say more?
Comedy
  • Date Night--Steve Carrell and Tina Fey might make the funniest movie couple ever
  • Knight & Day--"You just don't seem very happy to see me."
  • The Switch--Somehow they managed to make this a heartfelt, unraunchy comedy
  • Easy A--I totally wish Emma Stone had gotten the Golden Globe for this
  • Life as We Know It--Again, a genuine, thoughtful romantic comedy
  • Morning Glory--No romance, and no apology for an obsessive work ethic
  • Tangled--The best Disney princess movie yet
Drama
  • City Island--This movie somehow got overlooked by most people; it's a wonderful story about a dysfunctional family that has one of the best movie endings of the year
  • The Joneses--Hard to watch; prepare yourself. But kind of scary.
  • Unstoppable--Edge-of-your-seat suspense. I sure like Chris Pine.
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1--The kids have learned to act after all! I'm glad they aren't making us wait until next Christmas for the last installment.
  • Inception--Blew my mind, the way the Matrix did for a lot of people
Movies I would recommend to my parents:
  • Secretariat--I actually didn't know anything about the story until I saw this. A great family movie.
  • The King's Speech--I never recommend rated R movies to my parents. This is THE exception.
  • Despicable Me--An older guy desperately trying to be a bad boy gets turned into a softie by a couple of cute orphan girls. Yup, my dad would enjoy this one.
  • Temple Grandin--A fascinating look at a brilliant, but severely autistic woman who has been extremely influential in improving our understanding of autism, as well as pioneering improvements in the humane treatment of cattle in the United States.
Movies I still need to see:
  • The Social Network--update 1/28/11--great movie! I love how humanely the script treated all the characters, no matter how terrible they were to each other.
  • Toy Story 3 (saw it halfway)
  • Megamind
  • Black Swan--on second thought, now that I've read the plot summary on Wikipedia, I don't think I'll watch it. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you watched a lot of movies this year. I don't think I watched that many movies, let alone remember what they were all about. Kind of sad really. In High School I used to be the Entertainment Editor of our school newspaper called The Lance and I knew about every movie that was out. Unfortunately, no so much anymore.

    Anyhow, with that said I would encourage you to see Megamind and Toy Story 3, both good movies, kind of different as far as animated features go.

    ReplyDelete